Set on 130 acres of beautiful parkland, an impressive Victorian House forms the heart of Ballymascanlon House Hotel. Steeped in history, Ballymascanlon Estate dates from 833 AD, when it was the seat of the Scanlons of Oriel, Co. Louth. Family-run with pride and dedication, there is a genuine interest in ensuring every guest is made to feel at home in an informal and luxurious setting, while providing a taste of a bygone era. Boasting an 18-hole parkland Golf Course and superb Health Club, you can truly relax and unwind. One of the many treasures to be found on the Estate is the 4,000 year old Proleek Stone, which never fails to amaze visitors. Scholars and scientist are still puzzled as to how ancient inhabitants managed to raise a forty-six ton capstone on such fragile supports. The wealth of history, combined with panoramic views of the Hotel’s gardens and parklands, the surrounding national forests and mountain ranges, ensures that there is something for everyone at Ballymascanlon.
Guestrooms at Ballymascanlon House Hotel have been designed with an equal balance of comfort and elegance, and include all the facilities a discerning guest requires. The hotel’s rooms have spectacular views over the 130 acre Estate, and guests have use of the extensive Leisure Facilities, including indoor Pool and Jacuzzi.
All Guestrooms Feature:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet
- Satellite TV
- Tea & Coffee Hospitality Tray
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Direct Dial Telephone
- Electronic Safe
In the mornings, your full Irish breakfast is served in Ballymascanlon’s elegant Dining Rooms.
Fine Food & Superb Wine:
Lunch and evening meals are served with unobtrusive courtesy in the quiet comfort of the hotel’s elegant Dining Rooms. Menus incorporate the finest in classic cuisine, while the hotel’s wine lists are extensive.
Attentive room service is available 24-hours a day.
On The Map: Dundalk is located just off the M1 motorway between Dublin & Belfast. The town is close to the border with Northern Ireland and equidistant from both Dublin and Belfast.
Dundalk, County Louth, enjoys a great location, strategically located approximately midway between the two largest cities in the island of Ireland, Belfast and Dublin. The town’s name, which was historically written as Dundalgan, has associations with the mythical warrior Cú Chulainn. The town’s crest reads ‘Mé do rug Cú Chulainn Cróga’ meaning ‘I gave birth to brave Cú Chulainn’. The Dundalk area has been inhabited since at least 3500 BC, in the Neolithic period. In 1169 the Normans arrived in Ireland and set about conquering large areas. By 1185 a Norman nobleman named Bertram de Verdun erected a manor house at Castletown Mount and subsequently obtained the town’s charter in 1189. The modern town of Dundalk largely owes its form to Lord Limerick (James Hamilton, later 1st Earl of Clanbrassil) in the 17th century. He commissioned the construction of streets leading to the town centre; his ideas came from many visits to Europe. In addition to the demolition of the old walls and castles, he had new roads laid out eastwards of the principal streets.