Batty Langley Lodge is a romantic, secluded and elegant two story building, adorned with seven stone pinnacles. The Lodge was constructed as a Gatehouse for the world famous Palladian Castletown House. It was designed to be viewed from the River Walk below as part of the planned landscape surrounding the grand mansion. The present Lodge was completed in 1785. It’s Gothic facade and name were inspired by the renowned English architect and gardener Batty Langley. The property has recently been carefully and lovingly restored. The result is an amazingly unique and romantic hideaway – even the local Irish population are largely unaware of its existence! Situated on a quiet country lane, Batty Langley Lodge is quiet simply the perfect romantic sanctuary for Honeymooners, or indeed any couple that enjoys a smitten and besotted relationship!
Batty Langley Lodge has been carefully and lovingly restored by the Irish Office of Public Works and Irish Landmark Trust. The outstanding character and charm of the property has been preserved, while also creating a modern, cozy and inviting environment for guests.
Lodge Features & Amenities:
- Double Bedroom
- Bathroom (off Bedroom)
- Wood-Burning Stove in Sitting Room
- Washing Machine
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Radio, Board Games, Cards and Books
- On-Site Parking for 1 Car
- Patio with Garden Furniture
Batty Langley Lodge is your own personal 1-bedroomed romantic retreat.
There will be no other guests or a management presence during your stay, and therefore no meals are included or supplied.
The Lodge has a Kitchen area with cooker, fridge & microwave, so it is perfectly possible to prepare your own meals.
A great variety of pubs, restaurants and cafes are available within a few miles of the Lodge in the villages of Lucan, Leixlip & Cellbridge.
On The Map: Celbridge is located 23 miles west of Dublin City. It is most easily accessed by the R403 & R405 roads, which intersect with the main M4 Motorway connecting Dublin & Galway Cities.
The development of Celbridge commenced with the building of Kildrought House in 1720. The present day houses on Main Street and in the town centre were built over the subsequent two hundred year period. Celbridge boasts several important historical buildings and famous sons. Number 22 Main Street was for a time occupied by Richard Guinness and his son Arthur was born there. Arthur went on to form the Guinness Brewery. Castletown House, was constructed in 1722, and is situated at the end of an avenue extending from the main street of Celbridge. Castletown is Ireland’s largest and arguably finest Palladian Country House. Two features of particular note are the 80-foot blue and gold Long Gallery, and the main cantilevered staircase. Reputedly, only three staircases of this kind were ever constructed, and one lies at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, aboard the doomed Titanic. Celbridge Abbey was built in 1703, and is another beautiful structure, with many tales of woe to tell. In recent years Celbridge has expanded dramatically, yet most of the towns services and amenities still centre on the single main street.
Lucan Village (6 kilometres / 4 miles from Batty Langley Lodge):
On The Map: Lucan is a suburb of Dublin City, situated some 13 km from the city centre. It is located just off the N4 road (west of the M50 motorway) and is close to the boundary with County Kildare
In the Irish language, ‘leamhcán’ means ‘place of the elm trees’. The name probably comes from a people that travelled by river, as Lucan is the first place that elm trees are encountered if travelling inland from the Liffey. There is a suggestion that an ancient road that linked into the legendary Tara network ran through what is now modern Lucan village, continuing up the hill towards Esker Cemetery. Lucan House, built around 1770 has a circular ground floor dining room, that is said to have been an inspiration for the Oval Office of the White House. The decorative plasterwork was carried out by Michael Stapleton. Lucan House is currently the private residence of the Italian ambassador to Ireland. The discovery of a sulphurous spa in Lucan in 1758 brought the district into prominence, and it became a mecca for weekend parties from Dublin and the surrounding countryside. Modern Lucan is a cute village with lots of character, aided by its proximity to the river, many trees and stone walls.