Connemara’s Best Pubs and Restaurants
Eat Here and Be ContentAll the hideaway hotels mentioned in our Best of Connemara article serve top notch food. Here are some other restaurants to look out for:
- The West Restaurant at the Twelve Hotel, Barna Greatnew hotel in Barna which is 8km west of Galway City on the R336. Idealif you don’t want to stay in the city centre. An oasis of calm onGalway Bay yet just a short taxi ride from the centre. And The Westrestaurant is remarkable. This lucky correspondent ate there two nightsin a row recently and had his taste buds electrified both times. Checkit out. Reservations advised at weekends.
- Mitchell’s Restaurant, Market Street, Clifden Specialisingin fish, local meat ( Connemara lamb, wow!) and poultry Mitchell’snever disappoints. Excellent food and convivial atmosphere at quitereasonable prices. Easily the best restaurant in town.
- Two Dog Café, Church Hill, Clifden Thebest café in town for breakfast or lunch, snacks or picnic materials. Arecent omelette consumed by yours truly was up there with the best fromArt’s Café in San Francisco. High praise indeed.
- Blackberry Café and Coffee Shop, Leenane Perfectafter a day spent exploring this beautiful area, the Blackberry servesa range of soups, home-baked breads and substantial snacks with maincourses available in the evening.
- Brigit’s Garden Café, between Moycullen and Oughterard Located just off the N59, this is the spot for a tasty snack during the day serving great sandwiches, soup and daily pastas.
- White Gables Restaurant, Moycullen Youwill pass through Moycullen on the way back to Galway on the N59 (10kmoutside the city). Do yourself a huge favour and stop at White Gablesfor dinner or their famous Sunday lunch. The cooking style istraditional and the menu includes everything from Connemara lamb tolobster. Please note the White Gables’ reputation means that Sundaylunch is often booked out more than a week in advance.
Drink Here and Be Merry
- Tigh Hughes, An Calad Mor or An Cruiscin Lan in Spiddal Three pubs all hosting live music during the summer. Take your pick or try all three.
- O’Dowd’s, Roundstone Great bar food in this traditional pub – the best in Roundstone.
- Mannion’s, Clifden The place in Clifden for quality trad sessions.
- Conneely’s, Clifden What makes this place is the great views of the harbour from its rear balconies.
- Day’s Pub, Inishboffin Regular trad sessions during the summer in this friendly pub.
- Doonmore Hotel, Insihboffin Check out the Inishboffin Ceile Band every Saturday night during the summer.
- Power’s Pub, Oughterard Thatched cottage pub with traditional music most nights during the summer.