"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious."
- Brendan GillIt may make sense to plan your trip around a particular festival or event that excites you.Below is a partial calendar of events, and of course it can only be partial. Ireland is a country that loves to celebrate! And, there’s always the spontaneous wonder of a small Gypsy circus come to town, or an outdoor music festival that begins inside a pub, and spills out onto the surrounding streets on a fine, sunny day.Each year there are between 650 – 700 Festivals and Events in Ireland, held in every part of the country. The themes of these festivals, and the number of them, are:General Festivals (80)
Angling Festivals (18)
Arts Festivals (109)
Book Festivals (5)
Celtic Festivals (10)
Children’s Festivals (75)
Clan Rallies (3)
Comedy Festivals (8)
Craft & Food Fairs (31)
Drama/theater Festivals (22)
Film Festivals (16)
Floral Festivals (4)
General Festivities (256)
Gourmet Festivals (18)
Heritage Festivals (24)
Jazz & Bluegrass Festivals (43)
Opera Festivals (3)
Poetry and Writing Festivals (34)
Traditional Festivals (29)
Walking Festival (21)
Here’s a sampling of a few of our favorite festivals:
- Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival: Sept. – Oct.
- Dublin Fringe Festival: 16 days and nights of art and music! Sept.
- International Puppet Festival Ireland: Monkstown, Sept.
- Summer in Temple Bar: Outdoor events in Temple Bar from June – Sept.
- Westport International Sea Angling Festival: June. Over 50 years, this festival is a one-day shore event, and a 3-day boat event. The longest running sea-angling event in Europe.
- Autumn Music in Castleconnell: Concerts. Aug – Dec.
Again, these are just a few of our favorites. After all, there are another 640 festivities to choose from! Tell us your interests and delights. If there’s a festival happening during your visit, we’ll make the arrangements for you!