Irish Geneological Resources
The great potato famine caused a large number of people to leave Ireland during the 1800s, and many more escaped the following century. The potato famine caused a large number of crops in Ireland to die, leaving many people without food. These citizens had the option of leaving or staying and facing certain death. More people died during those years than at any other point in Ireland’s history. Some moved to other areas of Europe, but a large number of people headed west to America.
Comprehensive resources on Irish genealogy include:
- Irish Genealogical Society : a community of researchers dedicated to finding out more about Irish heritage and tracing the roots of Irish descendents.
- Irish Roots Café : genealogical resource with information listed by county in Ireland.
- Ireland Roots : offers help for those compiling research into people from Ireland.
- Irish Genealogy : information on different surnames found in Ireland.
- Central Signposting Index : searchable database of people and names popular in Ireland.
- Guide to Irish Genealogy : offers useful tips for those tracing a family line that goes back to Ireland.
- Cyndi‘s List : contains information and tips on tracing Irish family histories.
- Irish Genealogy : compiles a helpful list of places where the Irish can trace their roots.
- Ireland Genealogy : contains information on cemetery listings, those who escaped Ireland and counties in the country.
- Irish Genealogy Resources : contains information on archives and other places where researchers can find information on past family members.
- Irish Ancestors : lists ways for people to find and trace their Irish genealogy.